After banging my head against this problem from a different server, as WSL is not there yet for running as personal production services, I finally managed to hit the right keywords to google fu the answer. php-smbclient has been dropped from the officially repositories and so can only be installed via a PPA.
Installing using the following commands finally sorted it for me, credit to Markus (linked below for this solution)
After finishing editing and wim image using dism I was being left with Windows still thinking the image was still mounted somehow and not able to remount the image file. Thanks to a posthere I finally managed to resolve the issue by deleting keys under “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount\mounted images\”
Next I just need to find how to be able to delete the folders ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData underneath the root of a mounted image after it’s been unmounted. Windows is locking them but there are no handles open to them
Like many people it seems I’ve been scratching my head as to why WDS’s Driver Package Filters were not matching my hardware when imaging a machine that I’d created a driver package group for.
After looking at Greg Shields technet post I was convinced I just needed to grab the model name straight off of the machine type beforehand via a powershell WMI get and I’d be laughing. Alas this still did not work.
I found the best way was to enable the Debug log on WDS, then pull the info directly from what WDS was seeing and use that to create the filters.
I’ve also written a powershell script to pull the details from the debug log as otherwise it takes a fair bit of time.
I’ve posted this here: https://github.com/mikedixson/Get-SMBios-Strings-From-WDS
A small bit of conditional formatting later and we can see that the Domain GPO has a large amount of user setting edits and should be split into a user only GPO and a computer GPO (I won’t go into where these GPOs should be linked at this stage).